Making the world a better place one smile at a time.
Metal braces are the first thing people think of when they or their children need to have their teeth straightened. Metal braces in Norton, OH have been around for a long time and are still the most commonly used method for straightening teeth today. But what are metal braces?
What Are Metal Braces?
Metal braces are orthodontic devices designed to straighten teeth. They are made with high-grade stainless steel, metal brackets, and archwires. These metal archwires curve around and follow the shape of the jaw and are installed on the front of the teeth. These archwires are then stabilized by brackets that wrap around the back molars.
The Pros and Cons of Metal Braces
- More effective for treating overcrowded teeth than other options.
- Less expensive than other options.
- It gives dentists more control to move teeth in small increments.
- The brackets and elastics are available in different colors.
- Extremely durable.
- Metal braces are smaller than previously, so they’re more subtle.
- They can’t be lost or misplaced like clear aligners.
- Not as cosmetically attractive as other options.
- Sometimes the brackets rub and cause sores.
- You have to avoid some foods such as gum, taffy, corn on the cob, popcorn, raw apples, and other problem foods.
- The braces must be tightened periodically.
And while there are some “cons” to getting metal braces, they do provide a more consistent treatment and will give you quicker results than any other type of teeth straightening method.
How to Care for Metal Braces
When you have metal braces, you should brush three times a day after each meal. You should also brush above, below, and on your braces. It’s also important to clean between your teeth with other tools such as an interdental brush and a floss threader. Talk with your orthodontist in Norton, OH about how to properly brush when you have metal braces.
Are Metal Braces Better Than Clear Aligners?
Many people prefer clear aligners because they are less noticeable. Clear aligners are also removable, so they are more convenient when eating and brushing your teeth.
On the other hand, metal braces fix more problems than clear aligners. There are some problems clear aligners can’t fix. So sometimes you end up spending more money with fewer results with clear aligners. And lastly, metal braces are cheaper and more effective than clear aligners.
If you want more information about metal braces or any other type of braces, please Contact Hockenberger Orthodontics today. Dr. Hockenberger is out to make the world a better place one smile at a time, and he would like to do the same for you!